Spicy Seafood Stew (variation on a recipe in Joy of Cooking)
The original recipe uses a slow cooker and no actual clams.
- 1T Olive oil
- 1 Medium white onion
- 1-2 chopped carrots (not used in Joy)
- 1 medium celery root, diced (A very new CSA vegetable for us, Joy uses a celery rib)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (we skipped)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1 28 ounce of canned whole tomatoes, broken up with a fork (Joy uses crushed tomatoes)
- 1 container of fresh clams & the juice inside (Joy uses 2 C bottled clam juice)
- 1/2 C dry red (or white) wine
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (more to taste!)
- 1 lb. of skinless cod fillets, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 8 oz. of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Turn the heat to high and add the cod and shrimp. Cook and cover until the fish is opaque & the shrimp are starting to become opaque (12-15 min. but checking periodically). Season with salt & pepper, optionally with 1/4 C chopped basil or parsley).
** For more recipes: RedPepperFlakes Recipe Archives.