Sunday, February 3, 2008

Another Dish from Giada

A few weeks ago we made a version of Giada's Artichoke and Tomato Panzanella. I don't have a final picture of the salad in its complete and beautiful 'Form'. But I'll walk you through the recipe here. I think its the tastiest salad I've ever had.
**Note: We use our stove top grill for all the grilling (my friend Rosie turning me on to this grill!). I guess you could do something similar with a baking sheet in the oven, but you'll miss the pretty/smoky-flavored grill marks.
First, grill up a can or two of artichokes. Take your time. Have a glass of wine.

Then grill up cubes of bread (we used a 9-grain) until crispy. Toss with artichokes. Mmmm.

Add diced tomatos. (I was traumatized by the "tomato wedge" while living in Little Italy of the Bronx. I don't like to talk about it.)
Also add chopped (and pited) black olives. These are oil-cured Kalamata olives -- my favorite.

Julienne & add a bunch of basil leaves.


Add pepper, olive oil, & white wine vinegar (the bitterness of the latter works really well in this salad, but if you don't have it on hand, you could use any vinegar). Depending on the kind of olives you use, you may want to add salt as a finishing touch (I added very little, since kalamatas are very salty).
Giada's final product is below. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Hey, thanks for the cooking props!

I love Giada's recipes!

Whaddya mean, you were "traumatized" by tomato wedges in da Bronx? If I was traumatized by anything there, it was the possibility of getting run over by either a gypsy cab or the Bx12 bus! The abundance of doggie poo didn't add to my overall well-being, either.