Saturday, April 26, 2008

Weather Gauge Make-over (DIY)

Growing up in Kirkwood I remember an old weather gauge hanging in the hallway. My dad would periodically point out the % humidity in the house or the air pressure, as measured by this gauge. My dad has always had a thing for meteorology, and yes, apparently he's not alone in this, but he can watch the Weather Channel for hours. I recently asked if we still had that 'old wooden weather gauge. At the time, he was pretty sure that we didn't. A week later, the gauge, carefully packaged with love, showed up in my mail--dad had found the old gauge in the basement. One of the glass panels (oh, they're clear plastic!) was missing and the gauge itself wasn't exactly wood (try plastic with a faux-wood grain finish). Regardless...love it.

The gauge didn't really match our home, so I painted it a glossy white and now its perfect (antique but with a retro upgrade?). The only thing left to do is calibrate the gauges. Awesome.

No comments: