Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Eggs

My Grandma made the best deviled eggs. She passed away a few years ago and sadly I don't have her exact recipe. She also made really great chicken n' dumplings, but I wouldn't even try to botch the recipe with a vegetarian alternative. Back to the eggs. This year, we made them for the first time, with the help of The Joy of Cooking. It seems that the 'secret' is the proportions of mustard, mayo, and whatever 'dashes' you throw in. Ours turned out pretty darn good, though grandma will always have made the best. Some people use cream cheese, sour cream, and dill. I kept it simple with mayo & mustard, but used mustard powder instead of spicy brown (since that's what we had in the house) and the mustard was a bit too strong. I'd also add a few more dashes of hot sauce next time, but that's just me. The variations are endless.

Deviled Eggs (from Joy of Cooking, "Pop's Deviled Eggs")

Prepare and peel:
4 hard-boiled eggs

My note: Peel the eggs carefully, once hard boiled, so as not to break the whites. For a clean cut, wet the knife before cutting, and slice them long ways. Set the yolks aside.

Mix the following in with the yolks:
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon chili sauce
1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
1⁄8 teaspoon celery salt (I used regular salt)
1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard

My note: Spoon the creamy mixture into a ziplock and cut off the corner (start small, you can always cut off more) to create a 'pipping' bag. Fill the eggs with flare.