Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Do Not Delete

When I had limited space on my old laptop, I deleted every digital picture that was blurry. When dooce argued that those pictures were worth saving (I can't find where), I took note and deleted less, but never saw the point, since I'd never print those blurry shots. After taking a class with Karen Russell last month (an incredible class), she reminded us that some of those shots, though technically imperfect, are valuable because they're emotionally perfect or capture the subject's personality.

I have *many* photos of Chris with this exact expression on his face -- its his response to when someone says "cheese," though you'll never hear me say anything. Note that its not a forced/posed smile, but its also not an expression I ever see at any other time. So, to me, its just "not Chris."



At a wedding this week I took picture (below) of Chris in the hotel room. Technically, he's blurry, in terrible lighting, on an ugly couch, and in an uninteresting setting that says nothing about what is going on. And yet, I love this picture. Blur and all, it captures him perfectly.

No comments: