Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pillow-love

This year for my birthday, my parents sent me this awesome sewing machine. I've been planning to purchase one so that I could make us some heavy-duty winter curtains (so as to lower our very high winter gas bill). I also thought it might be nice to hem all of the pants that I have pinned up with safety pins and even play with stitching on scrapbook pages.

The gift couldn't have been more perfect. I'm learning to sew from the *very* beginning with the beloved instruction manual (where is the frickin on-button?). And I've had to teach myself how to thread the machine, since the last time I touched a machine was in 8th grade Home Ec.
Today, with the only fabric in the house (covered in vintage cars) and with the only thread-on-a-spool in the house (army green!), I sewed my first project--a pillow cover. The About.com sewing site has an easy Envelope-back Pillow Cover instruction set and the entire thing came together in about 15 minutes! (I should mention that I didn't iron the seams as instructed & I cut the fabric by eye-balling it. Next time I'll be more precise). For the pillow insert, I swapped in one of our Ikea couch pillows that has a dingy cover.


Pillow, 8/29/08.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oh yay! i got some fabric and a pattern for my birthday...now I need to sew myself a bag. i have a travel case for my sewing machine, maybe we can have a sewing party ;)