Thursday, August 12, 2010

Recipe Rursday: Pickling Cucumbers (or Zucchini)

Pickled Cucumbers, 8/8/10.

My co-worker used to work at Smoke & Pickles in Westport, MA, and raves about all the things you can pickle. And for some reason, 1/2 the staff where I work says pickled green beans in a bloody mary is to die for (mental note: check that out some time soon). Since the extra zucchinis from our CSA have been piling up, I thought maybe I'd try pickling them.
Cukes from our CSA, 8/8/10.

So when my friend at work sent me a pickled zucchini recipe, I gave it a go. Except I didn't have zucchinis. I had CUCUMBERS. You'd think I would be able to tell the difference... These pickled cucumbers (yes, just pickles) are wonderfully spicy and sweet, and deserving of a higher status than that of the lowly condiment.

Zucchini Pickles (or my version: Cucumber Pickles)
Cooking Light August 2010

Combine 4 cups 1/8-inch zucchini slices, 1 cup slivered sweet onion, and 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves in a glass bowl. Bring 1 cup white vinegar, 1/2 sugar, 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt to a boil; pour over zucchini mixture. Cover and chill 24 hours.