Thursday, March 20, 2008

Elephant Garlic. I'm not Impressed.

Over the summer, during one of my Food Network binges, I was introduced to "elephant garlic." The head itself is a little larger than a typical head of garlic, but instead of containing 8-10 cloves, elephant garlic only has a few....and they're huge. I love roasted garlic. We roast a head of garlic every other week or so and it goes great on crackers or bread, or, as is my preference, by itself, eaten with a fork.

The verdict on elephant garlic: I'm not impressed. Good roasted garlic has the same mellow smokey cream-ish taste that's in a feta/avocado/walnut/spinach salad (very scientific, I know). But the elephant garlic has a distinctly sharp or bitter aftertaste. I wouldn't buy it again.

1 comment:

Bleacher Preachers said...

Mystery solved. I was going to buy this the other week. I went with the regular garlic instead. Guess that was the better choice. I've noticed that bigger is not always better regarding vegetation. The flavors are more concentrated in the smaller fruits/vegsgies.

BTW, if you're interested in ginormous things, Craig's currently obsessed with jackfruit. We saw the orangutans eating it on Animal Planet & now he's named his fantasy baseball team after it!