Sunday, March 9, 2008

Family Photos

Leroy and Elvera
Photo taken by Everett Studies Inc., White Plains, NY.
Leroy's Retirement Party, 1971.
As a kid growing up in Missouri, we were able to visit my father's side of the family (in New York) maybe once a year. Its tough to drive a station wagon from St. Louis to Rye, NY. And flights were expensive when I was young. While I didn't know this side of my family very well, I have great memories from those visits with my grandpa, my aunt Sandy, and my cousins Jody & Roy. My grandma passed away when I was very young, and grandpa died while I was in high school, but the memory I have of grandpa squeezing me & spinning me around the living room of their home in Rye is crystal clear. More recently, I've been able to do some catching up (and visiting) with this side of my family. My dad's sister, Sandy, moved to Rhode Island from New York, just after Chris & I moved, and she has been so kind and generous to both of us. Its great to have family in such close proximity.

All of this is to explain the new side-project that I'm about to start. Sandy has a huge bin of family photos that she's beginning to sort through. As she sorts through them, she's lending the photos to me, so that I can convert each into a digital file that will keep these photos preserved beyond their physical life. This also means the photos can be more easily shared and copied. I am very excited to start this project over the next few weeks. I'm going to try to limit myself to only working on one or two photos a day (so that I get my work done!). Once I get them all scanned & touched up in PhotoShop, I'll put them into album-form so that anyone in the family can order prints or a copy of the album (maybe through KodakGallery, but I'm partial to using Blurb). (low-res, full photo scan below)

No comments: