Thursday, October 16, 2008

Recipe Rursday: Chris' Sofrito Bean Burritos

Way back when Chris was 'courting' me, he made mushroom & sofrito black bean burritos for me for dinner. Soon after, at my request, he made an entire tray for me to eat all week. How could I not go out with him? The key ingredient in this dish has always been the sofrito that he throws in with the black beans. The final results are other worldly (unlike unicorns, which may have been from this world).
Sadly, I cannot include the precise proportions in Chris' dad's sofrito (shown above), since it's due to the hand of the master. But I do know that it includes a combination of recao (also known as culantro), green bell peppers, white onion, garlic, olive oil, and cilantro. I also know that while it resembles Goya's Recaito in appearance (as a green base/paste), nothing compares to this family recipe.
[sidenote: If you're looking for mild or subtle flavor (or, if you're my father & your favorite condiment is ketchup - love you, dad), don't bother investigating further. ]Basically, the black beans are cooked up with the sofrito (Chris' recommendation: don't be shy with it) until the beans have reduced a bit. Then load them into tortillas with cheese & avocado. We normally use shredded cheddar, but sometimes it's a use-what-you-got day. They're ready to eat, but you can also fill a casserole dish & bake them with cheese on top. The sofrito goes with everything, including soups & our favorite, beans & rice.

No comments: