Thursday, October 23, 2008

Recipe Rursdays: Pirate Pumpkin Cheesecake

Last night, I made a pirate pumpkin cheesecake for Chris' b-day/Halloween, since he'll be at a conference for his actual birthday. Cheesecakes may be the easiest dessert possible. The crust is easy to make, but I bought one to save time. The recipe (below) is from my new favorite magazine (thank you anne & ashley!), Real Simple.
Pumpkin Cheesecake (from Real Simple)
1 .25 oz. envelope unflavored gelatin
1 8 oz. bar cream cheese
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
1 C sour cream
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I made my own: cinnamon + nutmeg + ground cloves)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1. Dissolve gelatin in 1/4 C boiling water. Let stand, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
2. Using an electric mixer (I used a whisk), beat the cream cheese until smooth. Mix in the pumpkin, sour cream, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla. Mix in the gelatin mixture until incorporated.
3. Pour mixture into the crust and refrigerate, covered, until firm, at least 2 hrs. and up to 2 days.
The Jolly Roger skulls, I downloaded from ReadyMade magazine & printed them on striped vellum. We didn't have wooden skewers in the house, so I thread the sails through angel hair pasta & used Gloo for the triangle sails.

No comments: