Sunday, September 30, 2007

Being a Mets Fan.

"The greatest end-of-the-season collapse in the history of major league baseball." (-either Keith Hernandez or Ron Darling after today's game)

I'm not disappointed in the Mets this year. It's dirtier than that. I feel like I've been teased. Disappointment is what you feel when you lose a game. Or when you don't do as well on a test as you thought you had. Or when you receive a crinkly bubble shirt for your birthday. I feel teased. I don't mean being called names on the playground. I mean, your friends says they'll come to your party, but they never show. Or someone says "I baked you a cake" and then they eat the whole thing with no explanation.

This year I further committed to the Mets and to baseball. I spent the summer watching Ken Burns' documentary Baseball and I cried when I got to Jackie Robinson's death. Reyes solidified his spot as my favorite player last year and this year Moises fought second. I even got over Milledge's immature slip-ups and was proud of Glavin as he was honored for his 300th win. Once again, I let myself believe and get excited and hope. And then I watched the "greatest collapse" in baseball's history.
Damn you Mets. You're such a dirty tease!

2 comments:

chipotle peppers said...

Unfortunately, that is the risk one runs being a Mets fan--or a fan of any baseball team. Thet just played so sloppily the last 4 weeks. They had no drive, no visible desire to win. Even Jose stopped smiling. It is no surprise their season is over. All that said, props have to go to the Phillies. They laid the smackdown.

jane said...

I have nothing to say about baseball, but I am listening to your blog's music playlist while working on my diss. THANKS AMY! xxoo