Curried Red Lentil and Swiss Chard Stew with Garbanzo Beans
(from Epicurious/Bon Appetit, Dec. 05.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch or 2 small bunches Swiss chard, tough stalks removed, coarsely chopped (about 12 cups)
- 1 pound red lentils (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- Plain yogurt (we skipped the yogurt) -----------------
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 13 minutes. Mix in curry and cayenne. Add broth and chard. Increase heat; bring to boil. Add lentils and garbanzos; reduce heat to medium.
- Cover; simmer until lentils are tender, stirring twice, about 10 minutes. Divide stew among bowls. Top with yogurt.
From FoodieFarmgirl I had the idea of using our chard in a tuna salad (her recipe is Swiss Chard Tuna Salad with Kalamata Olives & Onions). I put together a variation on this with what we had in the fridge.Tuna Salad with Chard and Olives
2 Cans of Tuna
1/2 Can of Kidney beans
3 giant green olives w/ pimentos, chopped
1 T. of olive brine from the jar
2-3 Cups of (Red Rhubarb & Rainbow) Chard, leaves & stems diced
A few stalks of parsley, chopped
Dressing: A squirt or two of spicy mustard + salt & pepper.
Mix well & stuff into a wheat pita. So good.
- Next week: White Bean Dip and Pesto (made with Garlic Scapes).
- Last week's Recipe Rursday: Grilled Shrimp & Veggies.