Friday, February 12, 2010

Recipe Rursday: Rosie's Vegetarian Chili

We've spent 9 of the last 10 superbowls with our friends Craig & Rosie. I'm there for the party (and the food), not the football. Each year I'm wowed by a dish (like last year Jen's QuinoaDish). This year, Rosie made a batch of her famous chili without meat. I had no idea what I'd been missing all this time! I love this recipe and she graciously agreed to share (pics to come).
--------------------
"I made this for my vegetarian/vegan peeps at my Super Bowl party. They seemed to like it enough to ask for the recipe. It's basically from Joy of Cooking, with some extras. Somehow, I made food taste good without any meat or dairy -- still not sure how I accomplished that!

Rosie's Vegetarian Chili:

2 tbs. (or more of extra virgin) olive oil
1 c. chopped peeled carrots (I eyeballed it)
1 c. chopped red bell peppers (used a whole pepper)
1 c. chopped green bell peppers (used a whole pepper)
1 c. chopped onions (used whole med. size red onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced (think I used 3-4)

Sautee above ingredients until everything's softened & sweated out, about 15 min.
Then add:

1-2 fresh green chili peppers, seeded & chopped, or
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced (I fried up a mix of hot peppers & eyeballed it)
1 tbs. ground ancho chili pepper
1 tbs. ground cumin (actually forgot that one!)

[I also added several dashes of hot sauce & several heaping tbs. of green recaito (cilantro food base). Then I tossed in a few tbs. of sugar, 'cause I thought it got too hot!]

Cook for a few minutes until mixed, then add:

1 28 oz. can tomatoes, with juice (I used crushed)
1 16 oz. can red kidney beans rinsed & drained (I used the bigger can, 29 oz, with juice)
1 16 oz. can white cannellini beans rinsed & drained (I used 29 oz. can, with juice)
1 16 oz. can black beans rinsed & drained (I used 29 oz. can, with juice)
1 cup tomato juice (I skipped that b/c juice from beans was enough)
Salt & pepper to taste

Then simmer (stove-top or crockpot) for hours & hours & eat when you're hungry. It's even better the second day."

** For more recipes, check out the RedPepperFlakes Recipe Archives.