Thursday, July 22, 2010

Recipe Rursday: Not-Your-Every-Day-Hummus

Beet Hummus, fit for a unicorn, 7/18/10.

Yes, it's hot pink hummus (made from roasted beets) and it's still sitting in the fridge. I'm afraid I didn't love it and will be pawning it off to a co-worker. But it was worth the try. Eating it on/with cucumber rounds (recipe suggestion) may be the solution, but I'll leave that experiment up to you. Recipe: Beet Hummus (from Simply Recipes). My only alteration was that I threw in a can of chickpeas to dilute my heavy hand with the lemon juice. Taste tests before and after the chickpeas: "well, it's not terrible." Maybe I couldn't get over the color.
Note: Co-workers loved it and beet hummus is a great sandwich spread. I give in.
Classic Hummus with Jalapeno-Cilantro Pesto, taken 6/30/10.

The original recipe, "Hummus with Jalapeno-Cilantro Pesto," is from the cookbook, Blue Eggs & Yellow Tomatoes (amazon, half.com) and it's a winner. We've even had requests from family for a repeat. The pesto: jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, green onions and parsley, + olive oil & S&P. (We tried another recipe from Blue Eggs... last year - check it.)

And because I know you didn't get enough of the unicorn hummus...here's one for the road:
7/18/10.