Sunday, July 18, 2010

Garden Recipe: Lemon Cuke & Beet Greens Pizza (II)

Harvested our 3rd lemon cuke (above). And since one of our beet plants looked huge, we harvested our first beet (below) this weekend. Both for another lemon cuke pizza. The books say our beets have been planted long enough & are ready to harvest. We chose this one because it had the biggest leaves (a guess), but it turns out this clump is three beet plants, meaning I didn't thin them out like I should have. The one I pulled up has a beet the size of a 1/2 dollar. Too bad. Note: If you still hate beets, I've been through that too! Try roasting beets from a farmer's market and pair them with goat cheese on a salad. You'll love them.
First Beet Harvested, 7/16/10.

We cleaned and chopped the beet "greens"/leaves, sauteed them with onions (I heard they're edible), and added them to the pizza (where they were unnoticeable). For the recipe, you can follow either of the others: Garden Lemon Cuke Pizza, or Zucchini, Basil, & Goat Cheese Pizza. And you may think this is to salad-like, but I promise you...it's heartier than you'd expect. Trust me.
Lemon Cuke & Beet Greens Pizza, 7/16/10.